Replacement Interval Guide
- Chrysler recommend replacement every 97,500 miles or 78 months.
- The previous use and service history of the vehicle must always be taken into account.
Check For Engine Damage
CAUTION: This engine has been identified as an INTERFERENCE engine in which the possibility of valve-to-piston damage in the event of a timing belt failure is MOST LIKELY to occur. A compression check of all cylinders should be performed before removing the cylinder head.
Repair Times – hrs
|Remove & install||1,50|
- Crankshaft pulley puller – No.1026.
- Crankshaft pulley installer – No.6792.
- Insert for puller – No.6827-A.
- Disconnect battery earth lead.
- DO NOT turn crankshaft or camshaft when timing belt removed.
- Remove spark plugs to ease turning engine.
- Turn engine in normal direction of rotation (unless otherwise stated).
- DO NOT turn engine via camshaft or other sprockets.
- Observe all tightening torques.
- Raise and support front of vehicle.
- RH front wheel.
- RH splash guard.
- Auxiliary drive belts.
- Air filter housing and hoses.
- Crankshaft pulley bolt  .
- Crankshaft pulley  . Use tool Nos.1026 & 6827-A.
- Alternator and bracket.
- Auxiliary drive belt tensioner.
- Timing belt covers  &  .
- Support engine.
- RH engine mounting bolts  ,  &  .
- RH engine mounting  .
- RH engine mounting bracket bolts  .
- RH engine mounting bracket  .
- Turn crankshaft clockwise to TDC on No.1 cylinder. Ensure timing marks aligned  &  .NOTE: Arrows and ‘UP’ marks on camshaft sprockets must face upwards.
- Slacken tensioner pulley bolt  .
- Turn tensioner pulley clockwise to release tension on belt. Use 6 mm Allen key  .
- Remove timing belt.
- Ensure timing marks aligned  &  .
- Turn exhaust camshaft sprocket 1/2 tooth clockwise  .
- Fit timing belt in anti-clockwise direction, starting at crankshaft sprocket.NOTE: Arrows and ‘UP’ marks on camshaft sprockets must face upwards.
- Turn exhaust camshaft sprocket slowly anti-clockwise until timing marks aligned  .
- Turn tensioner pulley anti-clockwise until notch aligned with spring  . Use 6 mm Allen key  .
- Tighten tensioner pulley bolt  . Tightening torque: 25 Nm.
- Turn crankshaft two turns clockwise. Ensure timing marks aligned  &  .
- Ensure tensioner pulley spring is positioned within area shown  . If not: Repeat tensioning procedure.
- Install components in reverse order of removal.
- Fit crankshaft pulley  . Use tool No.6792.
- Tighten crankshaft pulley bolt  . Tightening torque: 142 Nm.
- Tighten RH engine mounting bracket bolts  . Tightening torque: 61 Nm.
- Tighten RH engine mounting bolts  &  . Tightening torque: 68 Nm.
- Tighten RH engine mounting bolts  . Tightening torque: 54 Nm.