Evoque Timing Chain

Notifications
Clear all

Evoque Timing Chain  

RSS

White Rover
(@white-rover)
14/01/2020 7:03 am  

Morning, can someone give me a better idea on how to replace the chain on my 2013 Evoque.

The problem I'm having I'm not sure where to begin. 

belts
(@belts)
Member Admin
14/01/2020 7:09 am  

Please read this whole page and let me know if you need more help. 

https://www.timingbeltreplace.com/how-to-replace-timing-chain-on-land-rover-range-rover-evoque-2-0-2011/

ReplyQuote
White Rover
(@white-rover)
14/01/2020 8:13 am  

I did thank you for that. Would you be able to give me more incites on this?

ReplyQuote
belts
(@belts)
Member Admin
14/01/2020 4:10 pm  

Sure thing since I've done these a few times. 

First you'll need the special tools for the timing. Ebay or Amazon is a good place to by the kit, 

First thing you'll want to do is set the engine to DTC. I'll show you. But whatever you do, do not remove the balancer bolt yet. 

1 Remove the valve cover

2 Remove the right side axle and motor mount right there where the axle is. You'll need to support the engine. 

3 Remove all the spark plugs. 

4 In the kit there is a bolt looking pin. You will remove the plug in the engine that was right behind that motor mount. This pin will screw all the way in. 

5 Now rotate the engine clockwise and slow until the engine stops. You should hear it stop against that pin. Also take note that piston #1 is all the way up. And that both intake and exhaust valves are closed.  If they are not, remove that pin and rotate the engine another 360. But try to rotate like 340 leaving room for that pin to go back in and then finish the rotate until the crankshaft weight hits against that pin. 

6 At this point you'll want to remove the high pressure pump and vacuum pumps from the back of the engine (right). Behind the vacuum pump there is a hex bolt with a large slit in it. Remove this by holding the cam shaft with a wench. 

7 Now insert and lock down the cam lineup tool. You may have to help it line up by using a little pressure with a wrench on the cams and or crank. Once this and the crank pin tool are installed you'll want to unbolt the two bolts for the starter and push it out of the way. 

8. Use the flywheel lock tool in place of the starter to lock the crankshaft. 

9 Now remove the balancer and timing cover as well as the upper motor mount. 

Now the remove and replace

Remove the bolts on both cam gears while holding the cams tight from moving. Remove the cam gears and chain. At this point you'll also remove the chain tensioner (two bolts) At this time either you'll want to inspect or replace the two chain guides.  Replacing them would always be a better idea. Heck you went through so much to get to this point I would and do, replace it all. 

2 Remove and replace the very important diamond impregnated washers on both cam gears and the crank. 

3 At this point you're now ready to begin installing the two cam gears and chain. DO NOT TIGHTEN ANY GEAR BOLTS. Not yet anyway. 

4 The new tensioner comes locked and loaded (Compressed) with a wire pin. Once the chain and guides are all in and look good you'll want to push against the chain or guide on the left (tensioner) side, keeping all slack on the side. Meaning there will be no (none) between both cam gears all the way down the crank.  At this point you'll want to release the pin in the tensioner. 

5 Now it's time to go over everything you just did. You will be able to look at the lineup pin for the crank and you should see the pin is right against the weight of the crank. If not no biggie, but you will have to remove the flywheel lock and turn the crank until it's against the weight. You only have to move the crank a little if that. If you removed the flywheel lock you'll want to re-install it. 

6 Now tighten down the cam bolts, install the balancer and tighten that down. Yes without the timing cover. But don't tighten these bolts super tight, just tight. Maybe something like 30 foot pounds. 

7 Rotate by hand the crank at least 2 completed 360 degrees. Oh don't forget to remove all the tools and crank lock. Yes and the pin before rotation. 

8 Now go ahead and recheck everything, Reinstall your cam tool, crank pin just like you did in the beginning. If one of the 3, intake cam, exhaust cam and crank just loosen the bolts and align it. 

9 If you had to fix something you'll want to rotate two times and check it again. You're not ready until you can rotate, check and it's align. 

10 ALL GOOD? great. Remove the balancer and all the tools BUT NOT THE LOCK. Install the timing cover, 

11 Install the balancer but do not tighten it. The balancer has two holes in the front of it, one small and one larger. Align the smaller one on top. Now use the balancer lignup tool. The tool will line up with those two holes in the front of the balancer and a longer thumb screw that will line up with a threaded hole in the timing cover. Make sure it's in good. 

12 Now you can go ahead and tighten the crank and cam bolts to the specs and remove the flywheel lock and reinstall the starter. 

13 There is another tool in your kit, hope so anyway. This tool will slide right over you crankshaft position sensor and the 20th tooth on the balancer. This tooth will have small tiny circle, look really good. This tool will center the sensor and that tooth to each other. Of course the bolts for the sensor should be loose. One align tighten them. 

14 Now all you have to do put everything else back together and clear your codes. 

Hope this helps you go. 

Dominick Amorosso  

ReplyQuote
Share: